Gagging versus severe choking.
- Is normal
- Baby’s gag reflex is close to the front of the mouth.
- Gagging gets food or objects out of the back of mouth.
- Gagging is nature’s way of preventing airway obstruction.
- Baby is making sound such as coughing or the gagging sound.
- No need to intervene.
- An object is lodged in the
- There is no sound.
- The airway is blocked.
- There is no breathing or air movement.
- Baby’s color is blue around the lips.
- It’s a medical emergency.
- You must intervene.
Perform the Infant choking maneuver. Call 911